Thursday, June 15, 2006

6/13/06

6/13/06

Nancy's Update
Tuesday June 13, 2006
2:00 p.m.

Dear friends,

I just got a call from my surgeon, Joyce Haun, and I wanted to pass on the news. She just got the pathology report back on the tissue removed during Friday's surgery, and there was no more cancer in it anywhere! She used the word "miracle" and we all can agree with that! So the metastasis was only in the first tissue she took out on May 22nd. It was on my chest wall, but hadn't gone very far. But because it was in my torso, we have to still consider it systemic and I still have to have chemo and radiation. I still have to get word on my lung, but that probably wasn't anything new, as I know something has been there for these 7 years and hasn't changed or grown. They were probably just seeing that. Dr. Bourg, my oncologist will make sure that is the case next week when he gets back.

I spent the weekend home and resting with very limited use of either arm. I decided that I felt like Barney, just being able to move my arms from the elbows down. No lifting or more movement than that. My family did everything for me and a few friends brought meals. Saturday evening I went to Jenni's vocal/piano recital with the family. My surgeon told me that would be OK if that was all I did. It was a very special time and Jenni did a great job. That was a once a year event, so I didn't want to miss it. I didn't go to church- I slept.

So I am healing, and am moving into the itchy stage. My drain will come out on Thursday morning. I am still sore, but better every day than the day before. I am letting the pain meds lapse now and then to see if I still need them, and so far I have needed to take them. Dr. Haun explained that my port was tricky because I am skinny and have no breast tissue there the put it into. It is healing well but is still sore.

Chemo starts July 5th at 9:00 a.m. I am learning about what side effects these kinds of chemo have. I know to expect nausea and neuropathy in my fingers and feet. The oncology nurse told me that day 3 & 4 can be the worst, but it is unique for each person. I will have to see how it effects me once I go through it. I will let you know more when that gets closer. We can pray for minimal side effects. Some people have very few side effects. In the mean time I need to keep healing from surgery and deal with the 2 teeth I may need to have extracted next Wednesday when I see an oral surgeon. They are hurting and we can't risk them getting bad when my immunities are low during chemo. Pray we'd have wisdom about just what to do about that.

Thank you again for your willingness to read these reports and pray. God is answering them faithfully and getting this good news today and hearing the surgeon call it a miracle is a HUGE PRAISE!
"Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord O my soul, and forget not all his benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases..." Psalm 103:1-3

No comments: